Chicken Kung Pao Recipe
Kung Pao Chicken is highly addictive stir-fried chicken with the perfect combination of salty, sweet and spicy flavour!
- 800 gm Boneless/skinless chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 tbsp Dry sherry
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Corn flour
- ½ cup Low-sodium chicken stock (or broth) water can be used
- 5 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar (or substitute good-quality balsamic vinegar)
- 2 tbsp Dry sherry
- 2 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Corn flour
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil divided
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- ½ qty Capsicum (seeded and diced)
- 8 to 10 qty Dried chilies (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, lightly toasted and ground
- 4 qty Green onion (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- ½ cup Roasted/unsalted peanuts
- 2 tsp Sesame oil optional
- Combine all ingredients for the chicken in a shallow bowl; cover and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Whisk sauce ingredients together until sugar dissolves; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet, pan or wok over high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, allow to heat up, then add marinated chicken.
- Fry chicken for 3 to 4 minutes while occasionally stirring, until edges are browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add remaining cooking oil into the same pan/wok.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, chili diced peppers (capsicums) and Sichuan peppercorns and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Give the prepared sauce a mix, then pour it into the pan and bring it to a boil while stirring.
- Once it begins to thicken slightly, add chicken back into the pan/wok and mix all of the ingredients through the sauce until the chicken is evenly coated and sauce has thickened, (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in green onions, peanuts and sesame oil. Toss well and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes to infuse all of the flavours together.
- Serve immediately with steamed/cooked rice or fried rice.