Chinese Five Spice Powder Recipe
- 6 Star Anise (chakra phool)
- 1½ tsp Whole Cloves
- 2 tsp BlackPepper Corns
- 2-3 pieces Cinnamon Stick
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- Toast any dry whole spices in a dry skillet, until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a spice grinder (or coffee grinder) and grind until smooth.
- Smell the goodness.
- Store in a sealed, airtight spice jar & for best flavor use within 6 months.
- Makes ¼ cup.
- Lightly toasting the whole seeds/pods in a dry skillet will create a more fragrant, intense flavor.
- In a pinch you could sub 1 tablespoon anise seeds, but it won’t be quite the same flavor.