Creamy Chicken Roulade with Spinach and Mushrooms Recipe
- 1+1 cup+tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Onion
- 1 cup Mushrooms
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 3 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- Bread Crumbs As Required
- 2 Eggs
Creamy Alfredo Sauce:
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ⅓ cup Parsley
- 3 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
Prepare the Chicken Roulade:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and let it cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
- Place each chicken breast, one at a time, between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or in a ziploc freezer bag. Carefully flatten the chicken breasts with a rolling pin until they are approximately ¼-inch thick and 6-inches wide. Don’t pound the breasts too hard. It could tear apart the breast. Ideally, you want flattened chicken breasts with uniform thickness.
- Place one chicken breast on a new sheet of plastic wrap. Add ⅓ cup baby spinach on top of the chicken breast.
- Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the mushroom and onion mixture, and then add a third of the mushroom and onion mixture on top. Make sure to spread the filling evenly, leaving a ½-inch border around edges.
- Tightly roll the chicken into a log, and wrap the rolled chicken tightly in plastic wrap. Once wrapped, grab the two ends of the plastic wrap and roll to twist them and make it extra tight. Use plastic clips to secure both ends. Repeat these steps with the remaining two chicken breasts.
- Transfer the chicken rolls in the refrigerator and let them set for 30–60 minutes.
Make the Creamy Alfredo Sauce:
- Melt butter in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped parsley and the reserved onion and mushroom mixture. Cook for 2 minutes until it sizzles and it become aromatic.
- Add cream cheese and garlic powder. Stir well and cook for another minute. Add milk and continue stirring so the sauce forms a uniform texture. Add in Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Stir well to combine and cook for one more minute. You will notice the mixture start to thicken a bit.
- Remove from heat, and transfer the sauce to a clean bowl.
Make the Chicken Roulade:
- Take the chicken rolls out of the fridge and remove the plastic wrap. Take two shallow plates and add eggs to one, and panko breadcrumbs to the other. Dip each chicken roll into the beaten eggs (beaten eggs act like glue to coat the chicken rolls with bread crumbs). Then, roll in the panko and fully coat. If you like a thicker breaded coating, you can double dip in beaten eggs and then breadcrumbs again.
- Cook the breaded chicken rolls in one of 3 ways:
- Fry: Heat 1 cup of oil in a pot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until it reaches 325°F (170°C). Fry the breaded chicken rolls in the hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the outside is an even golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 166°F (74°C).
- Air Fry: Spray some oil over the chicken rolls to ensure that they get that golden brown coating. Cook in the air fryer at 350 F for 25 minutes. Turn the chicken rolls over halfway through baking.
- Bake: Spray some oil over the chicken rolls to ensure that they get that golden brown coating. Cook in a preheated 375 F oven for 25 minutes. Turn the chicken rolls over halfway through baking.
- Cool the chicken rolls on a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes. Slice and pour the creamy alfredo sauce on top.