Easy Chicken Rogan Josh Recipe
- 680 g Chicken Thighs
- 4 tbsp Ghee Or Oil
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Green Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 4 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Salt
For The Spice Blend:
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Fennel
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Fennel
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- Chop the chicken into large chunks and set to one side.
- Melt the ghee in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the whole spices and cook for 1 minute until aromatic. (See note 3 if you aren't using whole spices)
- Add the chopped onion and fry for 10 minutes until softened and starting to turn golden brown.
- Add the spices to the onion and stir to coat
- Add the chopped garlic and grated ginger. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth, tomato puree/paste then add the chopped chicken and salt.
- Stir well to coat, then bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Add in the yogurt then season with the additional garam masala and ground fennel.
- Cook for 2-3 more minutes and serve garnished with cilantro/fresh coriander.
- If you are using the ground alternatives, don't add them until you add the other spices in step 4.
- The recipe uses chicken thighs as they won't dry out during the cooking time. If you want to use chicken breast, prepare the curry as instructed, but at step 6, don't add the chicken, just simmer the sauce for 30 minutes and then add in the chopped chicken breast for the last 15 minutes of simmering.