Traditional Kashmiri Dum Aloo Recipe
To Fry The Potatoes:
- 400 g Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 3 cups Oil For Frying
For The Yogurt Mixture:
- 1½ cup Yogurt
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tsp Fennel Powder
- 2 tsp All-Purpose Flour
For The Curry:
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil OR Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Kashmiri Dry Red Chilies
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Salt
Cook The Potatoes:
- Wash the potatoes and prick them all over using a fork or a toothpick.
- This will make sure the salt and masala seep inside them and they are not bland from the inside.
- Heat 3-4 cups of water in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add salt and potatoes to the pan.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water and peel the skin of the potatoes. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin if it is not coming out easily using the fingers.
- Note – You can cover the pan to fasten the process.
Fry The Potatoes:
- Heat vegetable oil for frying in a pan over high heat.
- Once the oil is very hot, add the potatoes to the pan and fry until they turn golden brown in color.
- Drain on a plate and keep aside.
Make The Curry:
- Add yogurt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder, ginger powder, garam masala powder, fennel powder, and all-purpose flour to a bowl and whisk well until combined.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add whole bay leaves, asafetida, dry red chilies, cloves, black cardamoms, green cardamoms, and peppercorns, and fry for 4-5 seconds.
- Pour the yogurt mixture into the pan and cook for a minute.
- Add the fried potatoes, salt, and 2 cups of water to the pan and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Serve hot.