Kashmiri Style Kheer Recipe
- ½ cup Basmati Rice
- 8 cups Whole Milk
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Almonds
- ¼ cup Desiccated Coconut
- ¼ tsp Saffron
- 3 Cardamom
- Break the soaked basmati rice with your hands.
- Add milk and rice to a large pot. Bring to boil, about 3 minutes, and let it simmer on low heat for 40 minutes while stirring often.
- Add sugar and keep stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let it simmer while stirring for another 8 – 10 minutes.
- Place in serving bowl and top with slivered almonds for garnish. Let the kheer cool down to room temperature before putting it in the fridge. Serve cold.
- For some, the kheer might not be as thick as you want it after 50 minutes of cooking time. I found that it naturally thickens further once you place it in the fridge, and personally, I prefer my kheer to retain some creaminess. If you want your kheer to be thicker, let it simmer for an hour or more while stirring constantly.