Chicken Khao Suey Recipe
FOR COCONUT CURRY
- ½ tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Turmeric/haldi powder
- ¾ cup Flour/besan toasted
- 300 ml Coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 3 cup Water
FOR CHICKEN GRAVY
- 4 tbsp Oil divided
- 1 qty Onion chopped
- 2 qty Tomatoes chopped
- 3 qty Green chilies
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Ginger
- 1 Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Ground coriander
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric/haldi
- 600 gm Boneless chicken sliced
- ¾ qty Green chilies finely sliced
- ½ cup Fresh coriander chopped
- 2 qty Spring onions sliced thinly
- 3 qty Boiled eggs chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves Garlic thinly sliced and fried
- ½ qty Medium onion thinly sliced and fried
- 2 tbsp Chili Oil/Paste
- 3 qty Lemons cut into wedges
- 1½ cup Fried Slims Crisps or Papri for topping
- 600 gm Egg noodles boiled
FOR COCONUT CURRY
- Dry roast the gram flour in a small frying pan, making sure it doesn't burn. Set it aside.
- Heat oil, and saute garlic paste and turmeric for a minute till the raw flavor is removed.
- Add coconut milk, and whisk in the the toasted gram flour/besan making sure there are no lumps. Add salt & water.
- Keep the mixture on medium heat till it comes to a boil.
- Then lower the heat and cook for 30-45 minutes till it thickens to desired consistency.
- Make sure to stir every few minutes or so to ensure it doesn't burn or lumps aren't formed. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil, saute onions till light golden.
- Add tomatoes & chili and saute for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes are soft.
- Pour the onion, tomato & chili mixture into a blender and blend with water to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil into the same pan, and turn to medium heat.
- Add garlic & ginger paste, along with whole cumin seeds and saute for a minute till the cumin seeds pop.
- Add the blended tomato-chili paste, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and turmeric.
- Turn heat to low, and cook for a minute then add sliced chicken.
- Cook on high heat till chicken changes color from pink to white
- Turn heat to low, and add a cup of water.
- Cook the chicken till meat is tender and oil surfaces. Set it aside.
- Boil the noodles as per packet instructions and place them in a large bowl.
- Prepare all the condiments as per personal preference, and place them all in small bowls.
- The variety of condiments is on personal preference, but lemon, crisps & some form of spicy element (whether chili paste, chutney or raw chilis) is necessary to balance flavors.
- Warm up the coconut curry and the chicken and serve them in medium sized bowls.
- To make a bowl of Khao-suey, first add the noodles in the bowl, then add coconut curry and chicken.
- Top with your preferred condiments and then mix it up.
- Add lemon & crisps right at the end.