Matar Paneer Masala Recipe
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 Ginger
- 1 cup Onion
- 1½ cup Tomatoes
- 12 Cashew Nuts
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Yogurt
For Matar Paneer Gravy:
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1¼ cup Water
- 1 Green Chili
- 250 gm Paneer
- 1 tsp (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) Kasuri Meethi
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 4 tbsp Cream
- If using store bought paneer, soak it in a bowl ofhot water for 20 mins. Drain the water and use.This step helps to keep the paneer soft.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil to a hot pan. When the oil turnshot, add 1 to 2 green cardamoms (optional),ginger & garlic
- Fry for a minute. Next add 1 cup choppedonions & saute until they turn light golden
- Put in 1½ cup tomatoes and ¼ teaspoon salt
- Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Add 12 cashews. Cookcovered until soft & mushy.
- Cool this completely. Add to a grinder along withcurd/ yogurt (optional) and make a smoothpuree.
- Heat 2 tbsps oil in the same pan. Saute 1 inchcinnamon & 1 bay leaf for a minute.
- Lower the heat and add ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ¾to 1 teaspoon chili powder, sugar (optional), ¾ to1 teaspoon garam masala and ½ to ¾ teaspooncoriander powder. Mix well.
- Pour the pureed onion tomato mixture. If yourpuree is not smooth, then pass it through afilter/sieve.
- Saute until the masala comes together and turnsthick. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
- Next add ¾ cup green peas. Pour 1 to 1 ¼ cupswater. If using fresh peas, boil them until tenderin a pot, drain and use. If using frozen peas thenyou can rinse and use
- Mix well to make a thick gravy. Add more waterif needed.
- Mix and cook covered on a medium heat untilthe gravy thickens and traces of oil appear overthe gravy.
- Crush 1 teaspoon kasuri methi in your palm &sprinkle all over. Mix well.
- Check salt and add more if needed. Add 1 slitgreen chilli (optional) & 250 grams cubedpaneer
- Cover and cook just for 2 mins. Sprinklecoriander leaves and cream.
- Stir well. Serve matar paneer with jeera rice, naan or paratha.
Instant Pot Matar Paneer:
- Make a fine paste of ginger garlic and keep aside. Bring 1 ½ cups water to a rolling boil and add the onions. Boil for 5 mins and remove them.
- To a blender jar, add chopped tomatoes, boiled onions, cashews, cardamoms and yogurt(optional). Blend them to make a very smooth puree without adding water.
- Press saute button on the instant pot and pour oil. Do not let the pot become too hot. Add bay leaf, cinnamon and ginger garlic (to a side into the oil). Saute for 30 seconds
- Pour the onion tomato puree. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Saute until the mixture turns slightly thicker andaromatic. Cover with an external lid to avoidsplatters. This step takes about 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup water and de glaze the pot well.Secure the Instant pot with the lid and position the steam release valve to sealing.
- Press pressure cook button (low) & set the timer to 5 mins. If you want to put your rice together,soak basmati rice for 30 mins and drain the water. Place the rice bowl over a trivet and pour hot water.
- When the IP is done, wait for 6 to 7 minutes &then release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Stir the gravy. Add green peas and cook for 2minutes. (If you are using fresh peas, you will need to boil them separately and then add here.)To avoid splatters, cover the pot when you cook.
- Taste test and add more salt if needed. If the curry is runny, cook it on saute mode for a few minutes.
- Add kasuri methi, cream and paneer. Stir and Press cancel. Remove the steel insert carefully& cover the pot immediately. Let matar paneer rest for 10 minutes.