Delicious Muthiya Recipe (Steamed And Fried)
- 2 cup Gram Flour (besan)
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- Water as required
- 2.5 cups Fenugreek Leaves (methi leaves)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Sooji (semolina)
- 2 tsp White Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Green Chili Paste
For Tempering Steamed Muthia
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp White Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- 12 Curry Leaves
Preparing Muthiya Dough:
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients listed for the dough except for water.
- Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add water and make a smooth dough.Do note that the addition of water will depend on the water content in the fenugreek leaves. So keep this in mind and if needed add more water.
- From half of the dough, make sausage shaped rolls and place them in a greased tray or container.
- Steam these rolls for 17 to 20 minutes or till done.
- Once lukewarm or cooled, slice the steamed rolls.
- For the tempering, heat oil in a frying pan or kadai (wok). Add the mustard seeds, white sesame seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Stir and fry until the mustard crackles.
- Add the sliced steamed muthia. Mix and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Switch off heat and serve warm garnished with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut
Making Fried Muthia:
- Make small elongated cylindrical rolls from the remaining half of the dough.
- Heat oil for shallow or deep frying in a kadai or frying pan.
- Shallow or deep fry the muthia rolls till golden brown and crisp.
- Drain them on kitchen tissues to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with some spicy or sweet chutney of your choice.