Baingan ka Raita Recipe
- 2 Eggplants
- 1½ cup Yogurt
- Red Chili Powder
- ⅛ tsp Garlic
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3-4 Whole Red Chillies
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- Slice the eggplant into slim rounds, about ½ cm
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry on medium heat until one side turns golden (about 2 minutes), then flip and cook the other side (closer to 1 minute). Cook in batches & drain on paper towels
- Sprinkle lightly salt and put a layer down in the dish you are using .
- Now whip the yogurt, salt, red chilli powder and garlic together with a little water. Adjust for consistency (I like mine on the thicker side) and then adjust seasoning. It should taste positively tangy.
- Gently pour over your sliced eggplant.
- If you did not burn your eggplant you can reuse some of that oil, it will be less pretty than 'fresh' oil but tastier. Either way put 1 ½ tbsp of oil in a small pan and heat.
- Slice the garlic into thin rounds and add to the pan along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the garlic so that it is golden on each side and then gently pour the tadka on top of the raita.
- TIP: If you want the tadka to be a prettier color add a tiny bit of red chilli flakes after you take it off the heat, they will give the oil a redder color.