Semolina (Sooji) Balls Recipe
For The Balls:
- 1 cup Semolina
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ cup Chopped Onions
- 1 tsp Grated Ginger
- 2½ cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Dry Red Chilies
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
Cook The Sooji:
- Add sooji to a pan and dry roast on medium heat until golden brown (7-8 minutes), stirring continuously to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add onions and ginger and fry for 30-40 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add water and salt to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Now start adding the roasted sooji and mix simultaneously to make a lump-free mixture.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the mixture cool down for 10 minutes.
Make Sooji Balls:
- Transfer the cooked sooji to a flat surface and mash it using your palms (or the back of a steel bowl) until the mixture is smooth.Note – Make sure the cooked semolina is still slightly hot otherwise the balls will crumble.
- Make small lime-sized balls from the mixture.
Steam The Balls:
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a steamer over high heat.
- Arrange the sooji balls on the steamer plate and steam them for 10-12 minutes on high heat.
Temper The Semolina Balls:
- Heat oil for tempering in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them crackle for 3-4 seconds.
- Add asafetida, chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, and red chilies to the pan and fry until the dal turn brown. Stir frequently.
- Add turmeric powder and Kashmiri red chili powder and fry for 10-12 seconds.
- Now add the steamed sooji ball, cilantro, and lime juice to the pan and toss well. Serve hot.